Introductory tutorial aimed at any researcher interested on getting started into the fields of Network Science. We will begin by installing some basic packages and talking about elemental notions. However, the level of learning will be quickly progressing, addressing the key topics, until arriving at the current subjects of research.
The only prerequisites for the course are knowing python, curiosity and being willing to learn! For a better benefit of the course, it is recommended to have the programs already installed on your computers. The programs\packages are:
- NetworkX → pip install networkx = = 2.3
- Community detection for NetworkX (louvain method) → pip install python-louvain.
- Introduction to Network Science and models of social dynamics. Nanyang Technological University. Singapore, 7-8 March, 2019.
- Introduction to Network Science. 5th International Conference on Computational Social Science IC2S2 2019. The Netherlands, 17 July 2019.
- Session I :
- Networks: definition and basic properties.
- Particularities of some networks.
- Main centrality measurements.
- Let us calculate some centrality measurements over a small example.
- Session II:
- Let us generate some synthetic networks.
- Community detection methods: Differences between the main approaches.
- Temporal networks: Why? Some temporal centrality measures.
- Second-order metrics: What are they about?
- (if we still have time) Hands-On session: Gathering some networks and measuring their properties.
Material for the workshop can be downloaded at ... Repo: